Tag Archives: online

eBook Trends for 2011

Robin Good at Master New Media has assembled predictions and forecasts for the eBook marketplace in 2011. From the article:

” 2011 will be the first year traditional publishers feel the need to compete against the indie ebook alternative. “

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Android, Apple, authors, Barnes & Noble, book stores, Digital Publishing, eBooks, eReader, Google, indie, iPad, Kindle, Library, mobile, Nook, Online, Tablets

eReader Challenge!

PC & Tech Authority compares the Amazon Kindle 3, the Nook Color and the Sony Reader Touch Edition. From the article:

” Three of the more popular eBook readers currently on the market are the Amazon Kindle 3 (3G Wi-Fi), Barnes & Noble Nook Color and Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650). Each model comes with its own unique selling points, as well as a few singular flaws. If you’re looking to buy an eBook reader, you could certainly do worse than one of these models – but how do they compare? Let’s take a look at each in turn. “

Leave a comment

Filed under Amazon, eBooks, eReader, Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, Tablets

Established British author tries the Indie route

Guardian.co.uk has an interesting article about British author Stephen Leather who decided to publish several novellas on the Kindle platform and had breakout success. From the article:

” To maximise sales, he priced his books at Amazon’s minimum for independent writers – about 70p (the equivalent of 99 cents). At this level, authors receive a cut of only 35% of the price; under Amazon’s pricing structure, this rises to 70% if they price their books above the equivalent of $2.99. He then went on various forums to drum up awareness. “

Leave a comment

Filed under Amazon, authors, Digital Publishing, eBooks, eReader, indie, Kindle, Online, Print, Publishing House

Are eBooks the publishing world’s Napster?

Rethink Books has an interesting article about right now being “the Napster Moment” for the publishing industry. Many interesting and valid points. From the article:

” The ‘Napster moment’ here, is a realisation that consumers can’t be manipulated and now demand ‘my world’. They are informed, eclectic, discerning and they can now find needles in digital haystacks and can virally inform and recommend in ways marketers often can only dream of. It is a case of moving from mass marketing to direct marketing in a market you can’t control. “

Leave a comment

Filed under authors, Digital Publishing, eBooks, eReader, Google, indie, Kindle, Online, Print, Publishing House

O’Reilly eBook sales represent 88% of unit sales!

Tech book publisher O’Reilly says that 88% of its unit sales are eBooks. Article and analysis from Pocket-lint.

” Technology and computer book publisher O’Reilly has revealed that 88 per cent of its unit sales in 2010 were ebooks, with print editions and paid-for video taking up the other 12 per cent combined “

Leave a comment

Filed under authors, Digital Publishing, eBooks, Kindle, Online

Bringing Home the Bacon

Author Marketing Experts provide a good article about how to make money by self-publishing ebooks. From the article:

” With 1,500 books published every day in the U.S. (print, not ebooks) and very few access points for these books, what ebooks have done is offer a way for authors to get published and experiment. They’ll find out right away if readers like their book. With ebooks, authors have quick access to readers and no blocks to distribution, unlike print publishing. “

Leave a comment

Filed under authors, book stores, Digital Publishing, eBooks, eReader, Kindle, Nook, Online, Print, Tablets

Going Global

Publishing perspectives has an interesting article (and video) discussing the distribution advantages ebooks have as opposed to shipping physical books internationally.

From the article:

” Steinberger asserted that as English language e-books become more readily available around the world, you’ll see significant pent up demand. ”

Leave a comment

Filed under authors, book stores, Digital Publishing, eBooks, eReader, Online, Print